Trip To Iraq

I am writing this post while I am in our Private Security Company’s car on the to our Base Camp from Baghdad International Airport. This week I have a meeting with the host government, our partner and another field's Operator. This meeting is supposed to settle the interface issue regarding the pipeline from other field, join by our field and lastly tie-in to the main Strategic Pipeline. While preparing for this meeting/ workshop, I learn so many things about people and decision. 

 My job in this project is a Project Engineer. The job title sound very nice, but in reality my job description is “to do everything under the sun to ensure the success of this project”. Well that is Project Engineer .. huhu.. I have no complaints before, and to be honest, I really enjoy the job. Out of 4 years and 6 months, I learn the most in this project. Be it project governance, office politics, procurement, tendering, execution, traveling management, security strategies, legal, corporate affairs and like I said before “everything under the sun”.. I closed most of my gap and I manage to get promoted to E2 even earlier than my plan which is after 5 years of working. 

Lately, I have been wondering if I want to continue in this project or going back to KL and work at the line department or find a new job. These thoughts come to mind after so many people take me for granted. I keep reminding myself that this is learning time. Face the challenges that were thrown at me as a way to improve myself. But the hardest part is when I get back home there is no one to talk to. My family is far away in Malaysia. Having somebody to talk which does not related to the office is refreshing. If only my husband and family is here with me in Dubai ... just to listen… Well the trip today is quite tiring.. I arrived in Baghdad at 1210pm.. It took us nearly 40 minutes to clear the visa and gUeSs WhAt?? Our bags are yet to arrive.. The service at the airport is very slow.. they are slowly trying to improve and develop back their country.. 

We took off from the airport around 1:30pm and target to arrive at Base Camp at 530pm.. We were reminded to go to the toilet before we took off as there is no decent toilet on the way to the camp.. The bullet proof vest is SUPER heavy and uncomfortable for us to sleep… There is no lunch for us, and alhamdulliah I pack the fruits and choc from the Etihad Airlines.. The security check point is not as strict as before. We don’t have to go out from the vehicles, they just raise their hand to the police force and everything is clear.. Alhamdulillah… we stop for 10 minutes around 230pm to stretch our legs… 

Now we are back on the roads,, it is 315pm and I am very hungry.. I ate all the apple, the choc and the biscuits already… I think this is it for now.. will upload this once I arrived at the GBC.. 
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
I arrived at GBC at 6pm (Iraq local time) and the internet is not working..!! The IT guy just fixed the internet problems now (930pm).. miss my chat time with my love.. huhu.. ************************************************************* 
The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~Saint Augustine~

Comments

  1. Be strong and hang in there love... like Dinozo said "when the going gets tough, the tough goes clubbing" eh silap... the tough gets going. hehe... Even tough i'm not there physically, but i'll always be by your side to listen to everything you wanna share with me.

    Anyway, see you in 3 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe... nice phrase...
    Thanks dear...we talk tonite kay..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts